2017 GABBY Awards
Call For Entries
Call for entries will go out Tuesday, January 17, 2017. Entry deadline will be Monday, March 13, 2017. The 2017 GABBY Awards will take place on August 5th at Jekyll Island as part of GABCON 2017.
All entries must be locally produced by station personnel or independent producers used by the station, and must have aired on the station between January 1 and December 31 of 2016.
Entries may only be submitted to one category.
Composite vignettes may be used as a representative entry where appropriate. All entries must be submitted by 11:59pm on Monday, March 13th, 2017.
GAB has contracted BetterBNC to host the submission portal. All entries must be submitted using a DROPBOX link or URL for Digital Platform submissions. Please make sure that your links are publicly visible prior to submission.
There is NO CHARGE to submit entries.
If you have questions about this year’s entry process or categories, please contact the GAB office at 770-395-7200.
REMINDER: BROADCASTER OF THE YEAR
This award is given to the individual who has displayed the most outstanding record of civic achievement and public service, and has contributed significantly to the broadcast profession. This award is not specific to 2016 and is awarded based on career performance. The entry should include a photo of the nominee, up to five supportive letters, and a written description of no more than 1000 words.
Along with your official entry you are encouraged to select a :15 to :20 second snippet of your entry that will be played at the award show should your entry win in the category. When you submit this additional DROPBOX link please add “snippet” to the title.
Please add your current logo as an a/attachment to at least one of your entries. This will ensure that your logo is current during the awards dinner presentation.
You may list up to three individuals most responsible for the total production.
This year we have added and updated several of the categories for both radio and television. Please see the category description pages for complete details. Listed below are the new categories.
Best Use Of Digital Platforms (award for each):
Website, Social Media, Apps.
Best 2016 Election Coverage
Best News Reporter
Brief written narratives are to be included with: BEST ON-AIR PERSONALITY, COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD, RADIO/TV STATION OF THE YEAR & RADIO/TV BROADCASTER OF THE YEAR.
To ensure objectivity, judging is conducted by a panel of broadcast experts from outside the state of Georgia. They will evaluate all entries based on the criteria listed in the “Awards Categories” section. Judges will likely select a first place winner in each category but are under no obligation to do so and may choose to award no prize in a category. There will only be one winner in each category. Judges may choose to recognize other outstanding work in a category with a “Judges Award of Merit.” If the judges think an entry was submitted in the wrong category, they may move it to the proper category. The decision of the judges will be final.
How To Enter
You may log in with your information from last year. If you do not remember your username and password please contact the GAB office and we will email it to you.
IMPORTANT: BetterBNC is optimized for the Google Chrome browser; and Firefox for PC and Macintosh/Apple. Please have a recent version downloaded and installed for the best contest experience.
- Go to https://betternewspapercontest.com/gabbyawards17
- Click ENTER CONTEST HERE or LOGIN TO THIS CONTEST (top right).
- Select the appropriate contestant type:
- If you are the single point of contact for your organization, select Contestant Manager. NOTE: Once you have submitted 2 entries, you will receive an email validating your Contestant Manager account, enabling you to create Authorized Entrant accounts to make entries on behalf of your
- If you have received an email authorizing you to submit entries for your organization, select Authorized
- Contestant Manager and Authorized Entrant:
- Select the appropriate
- (Authorized Entrant only) Enter your email
- If you have an existing account from previous years you can use the same login information.
- If this if your first time logging in enter the temporary Password: bnc (lower case), and click Login. When you ﬁrst login, the system will prompt you to create a secure password and enter your contact
- Submit Entries
- On the Manage Entries page, click Submit Entry (left side).
- Select the appropriate Division (grouping of categories).
- Select the appropriate
- (If applicable) Read the corresponding Category Note (directly below the Category selection box), describing the category’s
- Complete the Headline/Title ﬁeld.
- Add entry content (may vary by category):
- To upload digital ﬁle attachments (other than audio/video), click Browse, navigate to the desired ﬁle, and select Open. Allowed ﬁle types are PDF, DOC/DOCX, TXT, JPG, GIF, and PNG. If more than one attachment is desired for this entry, click Attach More and repeat these steps. If you reach a point where you cannot add any more attachments to an entry, you may have reached the attachments limit, set by your contest administrator. Please keep ﬁle sizes under 5mb, to aid judges in accessing entry content.
- To add web/audio/video content, copy and paste the content’s web address into the provided Website URL ﬁeld. To host your content online, either upload it to a free streaming content website (e.g. YouTube) or talk to your IT person about adding it to your station’s website. Make sure the content will be accessible online throughout the contest and awards process.
- IMPORTANT: Please ensure that items are not behind a password-protected area. Judges may disqualify your entry if work samples are
- Add Credits for each person responsible for the entry
- Add Comments (if available), but keep them brief (e.g. 100 words).