Investigative Reporter- WABE
Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
Job Title: Investigative Reporter
Summary: WABE seeks an experienced reporter with proven writing and investigative skills who can create ground-breaking, impactful journalism. This position requires solid experience in reporting and crafting informative reports of local and state news, as well as experience in producing NPR style, in-depth, local feature stories and interviews. Hosting on-air during news programs may be required, and air shifts will vary depending on needs of the station and station management. Air shifts may include, but not be limited to weekday drive time, holidays and weekends. Some limited news related appearances on behalf of the radio and TV station may also be required. The candidate will write and produce investigative stories for WABE 90.1 FM and WABE.org.
- Research, report, write, and produce investigative news content for radio and digital platforms.
- Ensure projects have community impact, with an emphasis on revealing unknown facts, clarifying complex issues, seeking answers and accountability on behalf of the public, and illuminating injustice.
- Utilize social media to develop your reporting, interact with the community, and promote your work.
- Develop investigative media partnerships and regional collaborations.
- Collaborate with other national public media partners.
- Appear on other outlets in interviews to discuss your work.
- Collaborate with WABE reporters on investigative assignments to foster innovation and risk-taking in the newsroom.
- Reporter may serve as a back-up newsmagazine host.
- Other duties as assigned by Station Management.
- Participates in pledge drives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or similar field from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 4 years experience reporting for a large-market or national news organization.
- Track record of producing stories for radio and print that made a significant difference in the community.
- Dogged investigative and research skills, and a skeptical mind.
- Familiar with the legal and ethical guidelines for investigative reporting
- Knowledge of Atlanta institutions, organizations, political scene, and history preferred.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills, as well as skills in news writing, editing, interviewing, production, communication and interpersonal skills.
Necessary Skills and Abilities
- Develop original story ideas and coverage streams to create exclusive content.
- Ability to establish a deep list of sources.
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects at once.
- Must have ability to write news scripts for local radio newscasts and feature material in NPR style.
- Must be able to handle a variety of activities, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Preferred knowledge of how to set up a production studio and engineer two-way interviews.
- Must participate in on-air fundraising.
- Must have excellent and proven ability to edit.
- Must be proficient in the use and handling of audio compact flash recorders and moving recorded product into automation system.
|Decision Making||Discernment/Judgement||Organizational Skills|
|Team Work Orientation|
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
Submit: Resume and CD/Audio file containing air-checks and or news stories to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org
To apply for this job please visit www.wabe.org.